THIS ROLE HAS BEEN DEEMED OUTSIFE IR35 SO CAN OPERATE NORMALLY VIA LIMITED.
This specialised government organisation are on the hunt for a Senior Apple & Windows Solutions Engineer to provide primary Technical Architecture expertise on the Apple and Windows estate (client and server) and in other areas as required. This will primarily involve providing Technical Architecture skills for the design of Apple and MS Windows end user devices and their management and integration into the GDS WLAN and network services.
GDS provides thought leadership on the design of technology services for HMG and this role will play a part in that as the end user device designs that this role leads on will feed into that thought leadership. The role requires a very high skill level with Apple OS X / macOS as you will require the ability to oversee and guide the other team members with Apple & Windows system admin responsibilities.
- Alongside the Apple & Windows system admin team member, provide day to day management of the Apple OS X and Windows environment ensuring the server environment and dependent services are optimised. This will include the implementation of new services as and when required by GDS
- Provide second/third line support for the large OS X client estate
- Provide day to day management of the small environment Microsoft Windows estate ensuring the server environment and dependent services are optimised
- Maintain and deliver a robust, scalable, network environment capable of supporting GDS’ internal IT needs
- Integrate and improve on existing processing systems
- Creation of design documents for End User Devices - macOS and Windows as part of design work
- Creation of user guides for device builds
Skills and Experience
- Extensive experience as a solutions engineer with particular specialism in the architecture and implementation of Apple and MS Windows technology in the enterprise
- Thorough knowledge of the technical security controls required to implement secure digital services
- Extensive experience of the system administration of OS X / macOS (server and client) and the delivery of new services on OS X in a corporate environment
- Experience of the system administration of MS Windows Server, Active Directory and the delivery of new services on MS Windows in a corporate environment
- Advanced experience and knowledge of shell scripting
- A very strong understanding of technical security and its impact on the design and operation of end user devices and networked environments
- A strong understanding of pre-emptive maintenance and monitoring and demonstrable experience of the design and implementation of monitoring and alerting systems
- Demonstrable experience of Open source solutions and their implementation and operation.
- Use of Cloud-based systems and platforms
- Experience using Munki and DeployStudio
- Experience of WSUS
- Experience of the system administration of VMWare
- Experience and understanding of perl and python scripting
- Experience of user management and configuration with Samba.
- A thorough understanding of networking concepts and technologies and proven experience of network implementation and operation
- Experience of working in an agile environment.
Apple, Windows, WLAN, Network, GDS, End User, MacOS, Government