This specialised government position is forming part of a wide spread GOV.UK change, the developer will be joining the Group and Transform Content team in GOV.UK and at a sub-team level, the publisher data and content tools team.
- They will have a critical role in delivering the team’s Quarter 1 mission. In particular, the interim will be: Building a content transformation tool.
- As a developer, the interim will be responsible for building quality code using a programming language. This will include supporting the iteration of GOV.UK’s taxonomy.
- Providing developer support to content designers on GOV.UK - this will particularly focus on understanding the needs of content designers - for example Content Designers need to review and annotate all of the content in the inventory using a predefined audit criteria so that they can keep track of the content that they have audited so far.
- The interim will support this by building tools to enable content designers to work in a swift and efficient fashion. For example the interim will be tasked with building in recommendations for the Content Transformation Tool based on Top Tasks Data.
- The contractor will be on rota to maintain and improve GOV.UK applications, mainly Smart Answers. For example if a content designer want to make it easier to find their page on GOV.UK, the interim would help build and code the decision tree to enable that outcome. Providing handover support.
- Specifically the interim will be involved in tagging and monitoring and responding to feedback.
- Experience in front-end and/or back-end development, with detailed knowledge of at least one programming language,
- Developers need to have significant experience in using Ruby
- Understanding of software design principles
- Ability to quickly research and learn new programming tools and techniques
- A systematic approach to solving problems
- Experience of using testing to validate solutions
- Understanding of agile environments and version control
- Basic understanding about web security an awareness of technologies used for web applications, e.g databases, backups CDNs and search, and of Unix-like operating systems, eg Linux and/or Mac OS experience of working on, or with web technologies
Ruby Developer, GOV.UK, Content, Front End, Back End, Ruby, Software, Web,