We are currently seeking a Digital Developer to join a governmental client based in Central London on an initial 6-month contract.
As a senior developer, you will be designing and building web systems that make a genuine difference to people’s lives. You’ll make sure we build things the right way, keeping up to date with the latest technologies and trends, whilst delivering working software early and often.
You’ll be working on our acclaimed open-source public services, with user needs at the heart of everything, helping us transform Government for the future. Working as part of a multi-disciplinary team, you’ll be helping define how we do what we do, and making sure that our systems are built to be changed rapidly.
An understanding of version control (ideally with Git) is essential, as is an awareness of automated testing techniques, modern deployment approaches and how cloud infrastructure is managed.
- Build user-centred, open source, RESTful web systems to serve a variety of citizen and government needs
- Be responsible for development of large areas of projects, or small projects in their entirety
- Build automated tests to support our continuous deployment environment
- Share knowledge of tools and techniques with the wider team and community, both developers and non-developers
- Transform government into a more agile organisation by helping to embed modern development practices
- Help build and maintain a diverse, inclusive culture across the development community, growing awareness, inclusivity, and balance
- Occasionally participate in 2nd line support during office hours, and sometimes out of hours (for which you’ll be paid an allowance and further hourly payment when on call)
- Possibly manage a small number of less experienced developers
- Help with hiring, taking part in recruitment of other developers
- A systematic approach to solving problems
- Experience using automated tests to continuously validate your work
- Experience of modern development and deployment techniques, including continuous integration and continuous delivery
- Experience working in agile environments
- Enthusiasm for sharing knowledge and working in a multi-disciplinary team
- A working knowledge of unix-like operating systems such as Linux and Mac OS X
- An awareness of technologies used for web applications, e.g databases, backups, CDNs and search, and of Unix-like operating systems, eg. Linux and/or Mac OS
- The ability to quickly learn new languages and frameworks and willingness to pick the right tool for the job
- The ability to manage technical debt appropriately and proportionately
- Knowledge of open source principles and technologies
- Familiarity with practices such as TDD, continuous integration, continuous delivery, and DevOps
- Experience of mentoring and supporting your colleagues, whether one-to-one or in group.