This role is to work with my clients legacy software which is C++ and VB. They need someone to come on board to help assess what risks the legacy software brings and advise them on how they can bring it up to date with no errors. The issues they are having at the moment is the software is too legacy so no one can build on it. The first two weeks of the role the successful person will be reviewing the current system - what the client have currently got and what can be done.
An initial review had already been carried out internally but had concluded that they should also seek the services of a consultant with specialised skills to provide a more accurate report.
The report would set out to provide;
- a view on any immediate risk (e.g. security risks).
- a view on any longer-term risks (e.g. compatibility with strategic technology roadmap e.g. Windows 10, Office 365, Portal etc... ).
- A view on its sustainability as product (e.g. can it still be compiled into a deployable executable and how feasible is it update to address any immediate risks).
The approach we’re suggesting is for the successful candidate to spend an initial 2 weeks reviewing the code and then provide a proposal for the remaining activities and timeframes of the review. As a minimum we’re expecting the candidate to;
- Provide weekly updates on progress against agreed milestones.
- Identify and suggest solutions for any sublicenses within the code (copyright IP that is legitimately in the code but licensed to FICO).
- Build and test a deployable “as is” version of the code (i.e. don’t make any changes).
- A final report with details on the topics above along with recommendations.
Rate: has been left open so please let me know what you would need
Length of contract: 6 months
Deadline for CV submission: tomorrow afternoon
Interviews: slots booked in for later this week which will be a telephone interview. They may want to do a F2F following this.
- Strong C++ skills
- Highly advantageous - Visual Basic (6 onward)
- Windows experience (7 onward)
- MS Office API suite
- Excellent analytical skills
- Strong desktop application testing and deployment skills
- Good understanding of Networking technologies such as TCP/IP, UDP
- Understanding of SQL
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills